Who We Are
Founded in January 2016, the Langur Project Penang (LPP) is an outreach research and conservation project under the umbrella of the Malaysian Primatology Society (MPS) and Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM). In collaboration with governmental bodies, educational institutions and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) in Malaysia, LPP serves as a platform for environmental research and education for students and the local community. We are looking to amplify its voice for the Dusky Langurs by preserving Dusky Langurs’ natural habitat, continuing to battle the illegal wildlife trade, and by keeping as a crucial platform for research and outreach programmes in Penang.
Jo Leen, Yap
Jo Leen is a wildlife researcher and environmental educator, studying the ecology and behaviour of Dusky Langurs (Trachypithecus obscurus) in Penang.
As a PhD student of Universiti Sains Malaysia, she founded Langur Project Penang (LPP) back in January 2016, with the aim to motivate and inspire local community involvement in primate conservation and nature education.
Expected to graduate in 2021, Jo Leen has the vision to further bridge the gap between primate conservation and community engagement in Malaysia. With her enthusiasm, positive and creative mindset, Jo Leen is always on-the-go, thinking for the dusky langurs, for her team members, in order to sustain LPP as a long-term community science platform in Malaysia.
1) North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE) Environmental Education 30 Under 30 Awardee 2018
2) Established the 1st Urban Canopy Bridge in Malaysia
3) Featured in BBC Earth documentary, ‘Primates’ in May 2020
1) The Rufford Foundation 1st & 2nd Small Grant (2016-2018)
2) Disney Conservation Fund 2018
3) The Habitat Foundation Conservation Grant 2018
4) Malaysia Nature Society (MNS) Young Researcher Grant 2017
5) Manulife #StartNow winning fund
6) Crowdfunding and donations from the community and international supporters
On 19th August 2020, we reinforced the bridge into second prototype design. From single twisted liana to double twisted liana with ladders! Click on the image to see the live updates too!
Under the Umbrella of:
Fun Facts about the Dusky Langur
& passionate citizens in Malaysia and around the world.