Who We Are
Founded in January 2016, the Langur Project Penang (LPP) is a community science-based outreach and conservation project in Malaysia. In collaboration with governmental bodies, educational institutions, and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) in Malaysia. LPP aims to foster Coexistence among humans and urban wildlife through citizen science-based fieldwork capacity building, environmental education, and conservation efforts.
LPP is founded by Dr. Jo Leen Yap, a wildlife researcher, environmental educator, and certified Malaysian Regional Nature Guide. studying the ecology and behaviour of Dusky Langurs (Trachypithecus obscurus) in Penang. Jo Leen has the vision to further bridge the gap between primate conservation and community engagement in Malaysia. With her enthusiasm, and positive, creative mindset, Jo Leen is always on-the-go, thinking of the dusky langurs, for her team members, in order to sustain LPP as a long-term community science platform in Malaysia.
Jo Leen Yap
Founder and Head
Hoon Cheng Teo
Assistant of Environmental Education & Community Science
Ko Jia Liang
Khai Xian Lee
Hui Yi Wong
Project Assistant & Head of Video Editing
Project Engineer of Canopy Bridge & Solar Panel
Hao Ran Lee
& many more individuals… (to be updated)
1) North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE) Environmental Education 30 Under 30 Awardee 2018
2) Established the 1st Urban Canopy Bridge in Malaysia
3) Featured in BBC Earth documentary, ‘Primates’ in May 2020
4) The Star Golden Heart Award year 2020
1) The Rufford Foundation 1st & 2nd Small Grant (2016-2018), 1st Booster Grant (2021-2022)
2) Disney Conservation Fund 2018
3) The Habitat Foundation Conservation Grant 2018
4) Malaysia Nature Society (MNS) Young Researcher Grant 2017
5) Manulife #StartNow winning fund
6) Crowdfunding and donations from the community and international supporters
On 19th August 2020, we reinforced the bridge into second prototype design. From single twisted liana to double twisted liana with ladders! Click on the image to see the live updates too!
Under the Umbrella of:
Fun Facts about the Dusky Langur
& passionate citizens in Malaysia and around the world.